- Wotcher, wordpress. Most of the blog posts I have recently considered making would PROBABLY render me unemployable, and after five terms of DPhil I have started to consider that. So subject lines such as “Today, My Students Did Not Find Me Out” or “On Holiday I Took A Picture Of A Cat: Here’s Why I Want To Be Him”* or “To My Stomach, with apologies backdated to the day I started writing up this chapter: An Open Letter” won’t do. But I am looking forward to “Mother Of God, Why Don’t My Students Remember The 1990s?” a dance poem/docudrama I look forward to creating in hesitant/stream-of-consciousness prose.
- I have a tumblr, i.e. contemporary shorthand for “the sands of attention span are sifting inexorably through the hour-glass of click-reblog-despair”. It is here – http://hurrahvictoriana.tumblr.com . Equal parts Bosie Douglas, 1890s actresses, facial hair and Chekhov. You’ll like it.
- To day, to my despair, I discovered that Kate Beaton is beautiful, and not a troglodyte whose furry-follicled hideousness would restore karmic balance to the world, given that her cartoons are precisely everything that is good/lovely/joyful therein.
- Term ends on Friday and all the embryonic/fledging academics I know are gleaming-eyed because AT LAST, it’s the VACATION, time for some REAL WORK! I’m genuinely looking forward to it, there’s so much academic and non-academic stuff I need to get on with. Then I’m going to Paris and Montpelier (last hurrah before Em’s Final Push Towards Thesis/CV-junket/culcha). And hopefully, soon, I’ll know where I’m living next year…
- I wrote >1,500 words today; I’m going to bed and you can’t stop me.
*the cat was sunbathing on Capri, stretched full-length with great chops of ginger catty smugness, in lieu of an actual face.
We all know why I want to be the cat.
Dr Sophie Duncan is Fellow in English at Christ Church, University of Oxford. She works regularly as a historical advisor and as a dramaturg for theatre, TV, radio and film. She likes theatre, detective fiction and cocktails.